Skip to content

Leancamp - Session Ideas

Entrepreneurs, designers, managers, developers, innovators – how can they help you? Leancamp is all about learning from people from other disciplines and different perspectives. It’s a rare opportunity to raise your current challenges and ideas, so that others can help you through them and contribute their knowledge.

Please comment and discuss. Use votes to register interest so the session host can understand if the topic is interesting to people. (Votes do not get used to choose the session – we’ll do that together at 10am.)

To help get the discussions going and give you an idea of what topics people might be interested in, please engage in the conversation – be open with your challenges and constructive with your suggestions

Want to make the most of this? There is some guidance, tips and tricks to get you started at http://leanca.mp/getting-started.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

37 results found

1. The "Standard" Lean Kanban Board

Background: We are building https://www.blossom.io to help teams to apply 'lean' to how they develop products.

The Challenge: We want to provide them with a lean kanban board as suggested default template so they can get started immediately (low barrier).

But at the same time we are aware that providing a sensible default is very important and we could potentially end up with suggesting a half-assed board to thousands of people. This is quite a moral burden and therefore we ask for help & input of the community and people smarter than us :)

22 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    3 comments  ·  London 2  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Cohort Analysis - how to do it in practice with Google Analytics

Cohort analysis is a powerful tool to understand your customers and ensure the product decisions you're making are actually creating a better service for your users. How being better should come before, and ultimately leads faster to, being bigger.

We'll look at what a cohort analysis is, how to use one in your startup or company, and how you can get started quickly with tools you're already using. Let me know if you have any thoughts or ideas for focus!

45 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  London 2  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Visual Note Taking - how to do it!

Learn how to make your own sketchnotes - whatever your drawing skill!

29 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  London 2  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Tips for effective business blogging (with a twist on lean)

If no one cares about your blog, they won't care about your business either. The session will cover 10 tips for effective business blogging, with an emphasis on lean principles (short posts, understanding and optimizing metrics, etc).

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  London 2  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Useful Data Analysis Methods for Lean Startups!

Social science has a wide variety of data analysis methods that can be used by startups (e.g. t-test, ANOVA, Chi-Square). This session will highlight a few of these data analysis methods, by linking them to particular types of research design and data. We are hoping to collaboratively develop a set of tools that can be used to assess the validity of different business models, by mapping business hypotheses to specific research methods and data analysis tools.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  London 2  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Applying Lean Startup principles in practice

The most difficult part of Lean seems to be applying it in practice - especially to overcome our own inherent focus & bias, and focus on running experiments in an effective manner.

How can we best improve our processes? Should we work with an external advisor, team up with another startup and do frequent meetings? Are tools like Lean Launchlab, Lean Canvas & co useful for this purpose?

60 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Invitation to the test- & hypothesis-driven: What to test and how to test it. HDD meets TDD?

Hypothesis-driven approaches help with focusing on the right unknowns from a business context, while keeping your eyes open to new opportunities. Test-driven development – write the test first, then the code to pass it – is being used to greater and greater success in software.

From an entrepreneurial standpoint it seems that hypotheses can help us choose better things to test, while the world of TDD has tried-and-true approaches to managing those tests.

What can each of these approaches gain from the other?

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  London 2  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. How to observe and learn from customers in their environments using Diary Studies

Used in educational, psychology and design fields, diary studies are effective ways to get under the skin of potential customers, and gain insights about their problems and ideas of how to solve them.

This is a method of applying the "Genchi Genbutsu" (Toyota way) and Steve Blank's "Get out of the building", as covered in the Lean Startup book.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. The Skills Pie - a simple tool for assessing what skills you need in a hire or co-founder

At the Balanced Team conference in SF in fall 2011, Moses Hohman gave this great talk (http://www.slideshare.net/balancedteam/06-sat-moses-hohman-balanced-team-conference-talk). We have iterated his tool - I call it the skills pie - since. I would present the tool, followed by a (small) group discussion/exercise on how to grow your team / find collaborators.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. How should our approach change if our competition is also Lean?

Most examples of Lean Startup focus on a small, agile company that sets out to disrupt an existing, less manoeuvrable market. How should you adapt your methodology if your competition is also using Lean principles?

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  London 2  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. The Local Maxima - aka testing the wrong assumptions

You know when you test a bunch of assumptions only to realise you've had a bigger assumption the whole time? It's a bitter-sweet win, which would be all the sweeter if we could get there faster.

With my last failed startup, I was testing customer acquisition for advertisers, only to realise that problems with on-boarding other key partners, hotels, was going to kill me. With Leancamp, I ran a bunch of tests on the assumption that sponsors were necessary, which affected how I was interpreting the feedback.

I've come up with a few ways to help startups avoid this, which…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. How Lean Startup methods can be used for design inspiration

This session explores how to use Lean Startup to improve product development, design, and build better experiences. I'll draw mostly from my experiences working at startups and from my UX role at agencies, and applying it in a lean startup way.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Multi-platform products & lean principals

Working in a startup with a small team and attacking any market is challenging enough — but for those really daring and wanting to also launch on multiple platforms can prove even more daunting. It can prove really difficult to apply structured Lean principals. This session will explore how to actually still use Lean Startup principals and making sure to maintain a strong product vision while iterating on product development and building toward a great experience on various platforms.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. What can Lean Startup tell us about making the transition from breadwinner to business owner/entrepeneur?

As a breadwinner with a family, the transition from freelancer to business owner is challenging. I am challenged by constraints of time (my own) and, therefore, capacity.
    I am tackling this by building a learning community (for professional business analysts) where I am not a critical cog by definition.
    I would like to explore ideas on what the Lean Startup mindset offers when to overcome these challenges (or turn them into an opportunity!).

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Build your reputation, engage the people you need

You can see the opportunities, you've got an idea, but you're currently on the outside of the ecosystem of stakeholders and influencers who can help make something happen.

What is the best approach to putting yourself at the centre of that ecosystem?

37 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  London 2  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Five Whys and Test-driven development

Is anybody using or interested in using Five Whys with any kind of test-driven development? It would be interesting to hear how they fit.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Advertising on Facebook

Who's using or experimenting with Facebook for customer acquisition? Let's trade some tips and tricks.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Business model canvas as a working tool

I'd like to share experiences around using the business model canvas a working tool for brainstorming, exploring and validating different business models (I'll be using it to visualise multiple options we have for the same core idea, and hope it will help us, together with fast-paced cust dev, to make a decision which direction(s) to pursue).

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  London 2  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Choosing MVPs as a starting point for disruption

At Leancamp, 2 founders from startups in the fashion industry have chosen different starting points for disruption – Andreas from Lookk and Devin from Lyst. It would be great to sit them down together to discuss how they chose their respective MVPs, what works, what doesn't and how they're continuing their search.

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Propagation of Innovation

Borrowing from the thinking of OpenIDEO, Seth Godin's Linchpin, Clay Shirky's Cognitive Surplus, and building on an emerging topic in the advertising industry (google "Propagation Planning"):

How might we propagate innovative thinking and collective contribution to emerging ideas and design challenges? How to initiate and lead these communities? How to engage stakeholders? How to resource the community?

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1